Calls for Study Participants
- Are you a South Asian Immigrant Living in United States? You are requested to participate in this study because you are a member of the South Asian (Bangladesh, India, Pakistan) immigrant community in the U.S. and your E-mail address was obtained from my personal contact addresses. Any adult member of the South Asian immigrant community lives in the U.S. eligible to participate in this study.
I am from Bangladesh and a Ph.D. student in the College of Mass Communication and Media Arts at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. I am conducting a study on uses of social media among the South Asian diaspora in the U.S.
The linked survey will take approximately 15 minutes to complete. All your responses will be kept as confidential as possible. Only people directly involved with this project will have access to the surveys. You have a chance to enter a raffle draw for a $10 Amazon gift card, and 50 participants will be randomly selected.The survey can be found at:http://mypage.siu.edu/delwarif/diaspora/start.html ...... Completion and submission of this survey indicate voluntary consent to participate in this study.
Questions about this study can be directed to me, Delwar Hossain, SIUC, Carbondale, IL 62901-6601. Phone (618)-319-9185. (Online, )
- Participate needed for an Online study: South Asian American Mother-in-law/Daughter-in-law relationships, Cultural Values, and Help-seeking for Domestic Violence I am requesting your assistance in my South Asian American female relationships dissertation study: South Asian American Mother-in-law/Daughter-in-law relationships, Cultural Values, and Help-seeking for Domestic Violence. Please participants as there is a huge need for research among South Asian population to address their unique needs. No identifying information required, and your other information will be confidential. Participant criteria: South Asian American women, 18 or older, married or ever been married, has a mother-in-law or has ever had a relationship with her mother-in-law. Please Contact: Fatima Wasim, M.S., PhD Candidate, Educational Psychology, Specialization: Counseling Psychology, Oklahoma State University, Fatima.email@example.com, 678-313-2772. (, )
Calls for Submission
- Call for reviewers for a peer-reviewed gender journal called Intersections Intersections: Gender and Sexuality in Asia and the Pacific is a peer-reviewed
journal that emphasises the importance of research into the multiple historical
and cultural, gender and sexuality patterns in Asian and the Pacific—patterns
that are crucial for the understanding of contemporary globalised societies,
where identities and social relations are constantly being negotiated against
the background of dominant narratives.
The journal is seeking reviewers for books received on issues related to
gender in South Asia. Books include:
• Caste, Gender and Christianity in Colonial India: Teluga Women in
Mission Postcolonialism and Religions by James Elisha Taneti
• Promising Rituals: Gender and Performativity in Eastern India by
• Sreelekha Nair
• Moving with the Times: Gender, Status and Migration of Nurses in
India by Sreelekha Nair
• Nationbuilding, Gender and War Crimes in South Asia by Bina D’Costa
• Gender, Class and Reflexive Modernity in India by Jyothsna Latha
• Sex Trafficking in South Asia: Telling Maya's Story by Mary Crawford
If you are interested in reviewing a book that is not listed, email us and we can
contact the publisher for a review copy to be sent to you.
For enquiries please contact Dr Tanya Caulfied, South Asia Book Review
Editor, Intersections firstname.lastname@example.org
Intersections: Gender and Sexuality in Asia and the Pacific http://intersections.anu.edu.au/ (, )
- The Vagina Monologues benefiting Daya, Inc. The University of Houston's Women's Resource Center is proud to present The Vagina Monologues. The award-winning play is based on V-Day Founder/playwright Eve Ensler's interviews with more than 200 women.
Location:University Center, Houston Room;
Price:$8 for reserved tickets/$10 at the door; Contact:Malkia Hutchinson, 832-842-6197, email@example.com
(, April 20, 2014)
Jobs & Volunteer Opportunities
- SALGA NYC - Calls For Volunteers Salga NYC is an all volunteer run organization and receives a great amount of support from the community. Our Steering Board consists of various chairs who manage programs and events for the core functions that Salga NYC serves today. We require dedicated individuals who are able to commit 3 - 5 hours per week as volunteers and are able to attend our once a month in-person meetings (second Thursday from 7 pm - 9 pm every month).We are looking for leaders to join as Steering Board Chairs for the following roles:
Co-Political Chair - Taking lead on political protests and advocacy events important to the South Asian Queer community in NYC. This would involve fostering discussions and being able to be the point of contact for various events as they come up.
Fundraising Chair - Coming up with ideas related to fundraising for Salga NYC per calendar year. This would involve looking at budgets from individual chairs and coordinating with the Finance Chair to see where the needs are. We are looking for creative individuals who would be responsible for coming up with fundraising petitions and events to continue the great programs we have in place.
Co-Finance Chair - Being point of contact for Salga NYC's bank account and being able to update the board on our account balances, managing our checkbook, reporting on how funds were allocated throughout the year, and handling reimbursement.
Co -Communications Chair - Checking Salga's social media and email and being able to direct communications within the board. This individual would be responsible for sending out emails through our listserv (such as this one) for upcoming events and programs while also collaborating with our other Communications Chair to update the website.
If you are interested in being a leader in your community, PLEAE SEND US AN EMAIL AT: firstname.lastname@example.org with your area of interest.
Last updated 19 May 2014
Contact us: info-at-sawnet-dot-org