Sawnet - Bookshelf -
Bookstores: Online and in South Asia
The stores on this list are good sources of SA books
translated) in English. Disclaimer: we are not endorsing or
recommending any commercial establishment listed here.
Online sources for South Asian books
- Asian Publications
distributes multicultural books, especially Indian.
Rare Books -- by appointment in New York City -- has rare
and used books that may be hard to find elsewhere.
- Bookshop of India carries books from India on all subjects.
- Caju Press
publishes South Asian folk literature.
CBH Publications deals in the areas of music, astrology,
Ayurveda, Sanskrit, Malayalam, Tamil.
- Chanchals ships Indian books to customers worldwide.
- DesiKnowledge sells Amar Chitra Katha, Karadi Tales, and other such products. Mt View, Ca.
- D.K. Agencies will
attempt to procure "any title in any language on any subject from
anywhere in India". Also has multimedia.
- Eastern Book Corporation
specializes in supply of Academic Books from India at Cheapest Prices on Indian and Southasian Art, Architecture, Archaeology, Ayurveda, Indian History, Politics, Literature, Religion, Indian Philosophy, Hinduism, Buddhism, Women Studies, Sociology, Anthropology & Tribal Studies.
- Gandhiana is a progressive
South Asian multilingual online bookstore providing a platform to
literature and an alternative worldview. Books in Hindi, English,
Gujarati and Marathi.
- Gyan Books publish,
distribute and export all sorts of books from India.
- Indian Books
Centre supplies books on Hinduism, Ayurveda, Indology, Buddhism, Vedas.
- India Club carries books on
South Asian, especially Indian, authors, and is a US based store
which has online ordering.
- Khazana Book Catalog
has over 15000 books from India.
- K.K.Agencies carries
academic & research books from India on all subjects including
Women's Studies reachable through their BookSearch database (updated
- Low Price Publications
sells books on agriculture, science, ayurveda, geography, history,
performing arts, political science, reference, religion and sociology.
- Navrang sells Amar
Chitra Katha, children's books, Penguin India, and other Indian books.
- South Asia
books says "our goal is to bring Indian books to our customers
within 20-30% above the Indian Rs. price."
- The Other
India Book Store (OIBS) of Goa is the only bookshop in the
world that does not keep any title from Europe or America! More than
titles can be found here, all published from either Asia, Africa or
America." It is a mail-order outlet that can send its titles to
anywhere in India or abroad. For more info, send email to
- Saujanya Books in
- Scholars Without
Borders is an online bookstore for academic books published in India.
They carry books in many disciplines including Gender Studies, Womens Studies,
and from major as well as smaller publishing houses in India. They are locaed in Delhi and ship to anywhere in the world.
Press is an independent feminist press publishing innovative and
controversial fiction and non-fiction by Australian and international
Editions, in Singapore, publishes books by and for SE Asians,
including those of Indian origin.
- TSAR Publications,
based in Toronto, has been
publishing South Asian writers for 25 years.
- Toronto Women's
Bookstore (73 Harbord St, Toronto) stocks lots of writing by South
Asians, including some anthologies that are hard to find. They host
regular book launches by South Asian writers.
- Vedams Books features
academic books published in India on Arts of India, Antropology,
Hinduism, Buddhism, Buddhist
Art, Law, Economics, Botancial Sciences, Geology, Ecology, Natural
History, Dance, Music, History and Politics, Demography, Reference,
- Also see Sasialit's How to
Find South Asian books abroad.
Bookstores & Publishers in South Asia
|Mr. Shanbag of Premier Bookstore,|
of the location
of every book. Or perhaps arranging
another gravity-defying tower.
Narigrantha Prabartana, 2/8 Sir Syed Road (Above Sari and
Handicraft Shop), Mohammadpur, Dhaka.
- See also
- CJ Gillen's summary of
Bangalore bookstores, along with a description of Streelekha]
- Evelyn Leeper's
list of bookstores in Asia, which has extensive notes about Bombay
and Madras bookstores in particular.
no.15/55 Jeevankendra layout, Cambridge road, Bangalore-560008 (tel:5360311)
- Premier Book Store, 46/1 Church Street,
Bangalore 560001. Ph.558-8570 or 509-1220 <-Highly
- Strand, also on MG Road.
- Gangaram's, 72 MG Road, Bangalore 560001. Ph 558-6743,
558-7277, 558-8015, fax: 558-7540. Email:
- Nationwide Books, #39, 2nd Floor, United Mansion, MG Rd,
Bangalore 560001. Ph 558-2080, 558-2090
- Higginbothams, 68 MG Rd, Bangalore 560001, Ph. 558-7359, 558-6574
- Sapna Book House, Gandhinagar, Bangalore.
- Lotus House Books, Bandra Reclamation, Bandra, Bombay.
- New & Second-hand bookshop, Kalbadevi, Bombay.
- Strand Book Stall, Dhannur, Sir Pherozeshah Mehta Rd, Bombay.
- Smoker's Corner, a block from Strand, Bombay.
- People's Book House, 15 Cawasji Patel Street, Fort, Bombay 400 001
- Crossword, Warden Road, next to Mahalakshmi Temple,
- Danai, off Linking Road, Khar, Bombay.
- Nalanda, Colaba, Bombay.
- The street around Flora Fountain, where street vendors sell
used and a few new books.
- For Marathi and Urdu literature, take a walk around the
J.J. Hospital area on Muhammed Ali road. There's a bookstore at
Princess Street that deals in Urdu books transcribed into Devnagiri.
Bombay Book Depot near Charni Road station bravely carries
on a lonely campaign to carry Marathi books. On my last visit
there it seemed in imminent danger of shutting down (ironically
in the heyday of the Shivsena government) but if they are still
around, you can expect a very personal treatment from the
staff there which seems unused to having any customers. The
backstreets of Dadar (near Chhabildas High School) have a couple
of bookstores for Marathi aficionados.
-- Ajit Sanzgiri, on
Included with permission
- Rupa & Co., College Street (opp. Presidency College), one
floor above Coffee House.
- Stree, 16 Southern Avenue, Calcutta 700 026.
- W. Newman & Co., Grand Eastern Hotel, Calcutta
- Oxford, Park St., Calcutta.
- Streetside stalls & vendors in front of Calcutta University.
- Kochi Books, Princess Street, Fort Kochi.
- DK Books on Banerji Road, and their trade version, Current
Books, on Press Club Rd.
- Paico, Press Club Road, Kochi. (also has a branch on MG Road)
- Other "small, cramped bookstores bursting with books,
on Press Club Road near the KTDC complex. contributed by Raji
- A good selection of Malayalam books is available on Marine
Drive at Kerala Book Marketing Society at Boatgetty.
- Third World Book Store, Above Mapusa Clinic, Mapusa, Goa 403507
- Sahachara Book Mark, 3-3-72/2, Qutbiguda, Hyderabad 500 027
- Geetanjali Books, Luzginza, 140 Royapettah High Road, Madras 600
- The Bookstore, Spencer Plaza, Anna Salai (Mount Road),
- Fountainhead, Dr. Radhakrishnan Sali, Madras.
- Giggles Bookstore, Connemara Hotel, Binnys Rd, Madras.
- Higginbothams, Mount Road, Madras.
- Landmark, Nungambakkam High Road, Madras.
- M.S.P. Rao,W&D Micron Mica Co. Pvt. Ltd., 17/736, Rangeen Mahal
- Kali for
Women, B 1/8 Hauz Khas, 1st floor, New Delhi 110 016
- phone: 6852530 / 6864497
- fax: 91-11-6864497 / + 6866720
- Crosswords, South Extension II.
- Midland -- 3 shops in Connaught Place, Aurobindo Market, and
South Extension I. The only guys who voluntarily offer 20% off to
everyone, regardless of whether one asks for discounts or not --
- Fact and Fiction, Vasant Vihar. Opposite Priya Cinema.
- Old Books Bazaar on Daryaganj -- 2km or so of bookstalls, on Sundays.
- Fakir Chand Booksellers, Khan Market, Delhi.
- Galgotia's, Connaught Place, Delhi.
- Bookworm, Connaught Place, Delhi.
- New Book Depot, Connaught Place, Delhi.
- Tekson's, South Extension Part II, Delhi.
- Saujanya Books,
165-E Kamla Nagar, Delhi. Ph: 2384 4541, Fax: 2384 9007
- Sehgal Brothers, South Extension Part II, Delhi.
- The Mascot bookshop, Sunder Nagar, Delhi.
- People Tree, 8 Regal Building, Parliament St, New Delhi.
- "Guy who sits outside Plaza cinema", Delhi. (has variety at low
- Metropolitan Book Company, 1 Netaji Subash Marg, Darya Ganj, Delhi.
- Bookstore at Sahitya Kala Akademi, Delhi.
- BSS Agencies, 30-P Connaught Circus (below Madras Hotel), Delhi.
Ph: 3363557 Good source for serious Hindi literature.
- Manneys Book Sellers, 7 Moledina Road, Pune 411001
- Alter Media, Utility Building, Nehru Bazar, Thrissur
- Pilgrims Book House,
B 27/98 A-8, Nawabgang Road,
Durga Kund, Varanasi 221010.
Telephone: 91-542-314060, 312496
Fax: 91-542-314059 and 91-542-312788
On the web at http://www.pilgrimsbooks.com
- ASR Resource
Center for Women, Flat No.5,6,7,3rd Floor Sheraz Plaza,
Main Market Gulberg II, P.O. Box No. 3154, Lahore
- Pilgrims Book House, Thamel, Kathmandu
- Pilgrims Book House,
Kupondole, P.O. Box 3872, Patan, Kathmandu. Telephone: 977-1-521159.
- Lake House Book Store, Colombo Fort.
- KVG Book Store, Bambalapitiya
- M.D. Gunasena's, Pettah.
Contact us: info-at-sawnet-dot-org